View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 04:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
econobox

Quote:
Originally Posted by b23 View Post
I live in Arizona and my business needs to have a nice image. I know personally of a few companies that fell flat on their face for neglecting their image. I show up in a Geo Metro and people point and laugh and think this business must not be doing well!

If it were a personal car, or a situation in which image didnt matter, I would be in a Metro in a heartbeat. But here in AZ everyone has trucks, I see at least 10 Ford Rangers everytime I go out (honestly, usually closer to 50, with 9/10 of them being other work trucks). I dont mind a few mpg tradeoff in exchange for having something that makes me seem a little more official, maybe even more relevant? Mind you its not a 2013 Ranger or anything, but these trucks are par for the course for deliveries out here. Plus with the occasional delivery on unpaved roads, a truck is in many ways a must.

Not to mention that while a Metro may haul 10 batteries, I would expect its mpg to suffer a bit, and I may be back at the mpg figure I have with this truck if I put 10 batteries in one of those things. Ive driven a few, and the batteries I have are not just Honda small batteries. I am talking huge RV batteries, 1000+ cranking amps, and over 40 pounds each. 400-500 pounds in a Metro down an unpaved, rocky driveway?

Plus with this truck I have the option of carrying more than 10, it just happens that most deliveries are for 2-3 clients, meaning usually 2-3 batteries. But I service a few dealers, so there are times I may need to carry more. 10 max is not an absolute limit, but is 90% of my deliveries.

Trust me I had considered the econobox route, looked at some del sols and civics, but everyone out here has trucks. Its not a matter of me wanting a truck, its a matter of my business needing one. Out here nothing says professional like a good ol' Ford Ranger

(uploaded pics in prior post)
For years I did construction with my CRX.I purchased and assembled a $136 utility trailer kit,decked it,and carried construction materials and equipment to jobs.
Later,I constructed a welded EMT skeleton,skinned it with 1/8" plywood,and glassed over it to create an enclosed trailer body.
I drove it from Denton,Texas to Los Angeles,California,loaded it with a 1/2-ton of NiCad batteries and returned to Denton,averaging 50 mpg for the trip.
Only you best knows your needs,but while the Ranger will certainly carry your load,you do have much higher mpg alternatives.
As far as 'image' goes,capitalists will certainly understand the fiduciary ramifications of a higher mpg delivery system.Invite them over to enjoy the caviar you buy with your fuel savings.
Frank Lee (01-19-2013)