View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 05:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
Recumpence
EcoModding Apprentice

My C-Max - '13 Ford C-Max SEL
My thoughts are to pick the low hanging fruit first. That would be doing a better grille block on all three (yes, count them, THREE) grilles. Then I will make nice heat shaped fog light covers (the fog lights are recessed into deep pockets), then the air dam. The chin spoiler will run back to the front axle area in a perfectly flat surface. Beyond that, I will address the rear area behind the rear wheels under the bumper. That area is totally open. Oh, I also figured out a slick method to transition the hood to the windshield. There is a big open area there that will be very easy to fill.

Ultimately, I like the kamback shape of the body as well as the sloped windshield. I am also happy that Ford addressed the under side of the car at least a little. But, it can be improved quite a bit. I have seen a 1.5 to 2mpg improvement by adding a grille block to the center grille of the car. I am hoping to see a total improvement of 5mpg through blocking all grille openings, adding the air dam with engine underpan, and the rear end under pan. But, who knows until all work is done. I am already at 45mpg lifetime mileage average, and that is mostly in very cold weather. In 50 degree or higher weather, I see 50mpg. It would be cool to see 55mpg through the warm weather.

Matt