View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 11:31 AM   #388 (permalink)
dave.davis
EcoModding Lurker

2012 Accord Coupe - '12 Honda Accord EX-L
90 day: 24.75 mpg (US)

2002 Silver Civic - '02 Honda Civic Coupe EX
90 day: 33.25 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffen707 View Post
I copied your idea and i'm shocked at the in town results. I've gone from around 50-55mpg for accross town 4 mile trips under 35mph speeds with 4-5 traffic light, or stop sign stops, to now a record high of 69mpg for the same trip. Just to make sure I drove all the way back to Autozone and drove the same path home and got 67.93mpg so I know its not a fluke. I need to isolate the modification for testing because i also did a front grill duct tape block at the same time. I know 12-14mpg is a TON, so I want to be scientific about it and do an A-B-A kind of test to know how "true" these mods are. Also just driving a few tanks with and without the mods would help to compare, but when you get 500miles on a tank, one needs to drive a lot to test results.

What I have noticed though is that at 65mph I am still getting the same MPG that I was before these mods, between 45-52mpg highway. I think that not having a belly pan of any kind is filling the engine bay with cold air and causing the intake to suck more volume of air due to more throttle input. I was going to use a wind block on the right side of the exhaust/CAT to block wind from blowing right behind the CAT and into the pipe without flowing past the manifold to warm it up more.

I need to find something to test the incoming air temp with and without the WAI, and with and without the front grill block. It amazed me how fast the car heats up now too. That will pay off huge in winter (WHY DIDN'T I READ THIS LAST NOVEMBER!)
So what kind of car did you mod, Steffan?

Any reason this mod wouldn't help a 7th Gen (2002) VTEC Civic EX coupe?