View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 05:13 PM   #101 (permalink)
mechman600
Master EcoModder

Fusion - '16 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
Hey Ben, if I were you I would take the dc to dc converter out of the picture. I could usually go 3 or 4 days without recharging my accessory battery on my Fiero. Unless you are planning on not starting that diesel engine (which would recharge the accessory battery) for days, why do you need the converter?
I highly advise using a DC-DC converter. My Electric Booger doesn't have one, and accessory voltage isn't ever quite high enough. It starts off ok, but soon it's 12.4..12.2...11.9...dimming lights, windshield wipers slow...etc. It's bloody annoying charging the battery (at least the way I have it set up), always monitoring how much it needs, etc. It would be nice to just plug in and walk away and this is the one thing that makes this impossible. Keep in mind that my accessory battery is a new massive group 31 battery out of a highway tractor, not a puny car battery.

I want a DC-DC converter bad!

Do you know what brand you would go with? The Kelly looks good and is very cheap and I haven't heard bad things about it.

What is your system voltage going to be?
Are you going to try to integrate the ICE throttle control and EV potbox into the same pedal or keep them separate? I think a motorcycle twist grip pot as a gear shift lever handle would be great for controlling the EV side.

I don't see any problems with your configuration. A massive sledge hammer ought to make a nice hump in the floor. Batteries behind the axle shouldn't be a problem either, as long as you don't use flooded lead acid.

Looks good!