View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 07:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ryland
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTXA View Post
Garage space. I prefer to keep my vehicles garaged to keep them in decent condition. I live in the rust belt. My wifes car & mine fill the garage.
Garages can make cars rust faster, because they trap moisture and keep the car just warm enough that the chemical reaction of the salt and steel works nice and fast, I've seen this time and time again with vehicles around here, people who have garages have them rust faster, you can slow this of course by keeping the car clean or keeping the garage cold or warm and dry.

One thing I've started doing, because I drive 4 miles to work and drive mostly when it's getting dark out, is charging my battery a few times per year, a 1.5 amp charger on over night does wonders in making the engine crank over faster, my battery is going on 7 years old and I thought I was going to have to replace it 4 years ago, but charge it up over night and it's good as new, -10F right now and it's happy.
0w30 engine oil also helps with cold starts with short trips.

I also avoid using my gas car as much as possible, 12 minutes to walk a mile down town, less then 5 minutes to get my bicycle with studded tires out and bike, in the warmer weather my 31 year old electric car gets used for most of my trips.