View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 11:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
defacto7
EcoModding Lurker

Gen 1 hybrid grid charger erratic voltage reading

Greetings.

This is my first post here. I have found enough info on the site to make my grid charger a reality without to much bother. Thanks for all those who contributed.

I finished installing a home made grid charger last evening built according to the specifications on this site. It seems to work very well. I put it on for the first time and after it's been charging for a couple of minutes, the voltage reading become erratic fluctuating between 170VDC and 195VDC. Now it could be any number of things that are not battery related like the fact that it's 9 degrees F. outside. Also the voltage meter I'm using is really cheep. I checked the specs on the Mean Well power supplies and the adjustable supplies are good for -4F. and the continuous supply is good for -22F. The problem is I can't just keep charging if it's a serious issue, so here I am.

I'm charging 350mA. The voltage is set to 177VDC off load. I have a 2003 Civic Hybrid. Outside of the fact that the IMA light is on, the meters are up and down when driving and I am grid charging in hopes of balancing the cells, the car runs great including the assist.

Any ideas why there would be erratic voltage readings while charging?

Thanks!