View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 01:42 PM   #21 (permalink)
MTXA
Runs with scissors

Spot - '05 Scion XA
90 day: 30.33 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete c View Post
At a mile and a half, i suggest you get a comfy pair of walking shoes if you find riding the bike dangerous. If the most direct route is that dangerous for a bike, perhaps there is a longer safer way. Hell anything short of 5 miles is classified as a wussy bike commute anyhoo. Mine is 12+ with hills. Of course, I wimp out and take my truck way too often, esecially this time of year.

As for riding a bike after dark, I feel safer then than during the day. Very good LED lighting these days will light you up like a xmas tree and make you way more visible than during the day.
I'm going to put start riding my bike after winter moves along. I have a real bright LED flasher on the back. It seems that some of the local drunkards go home about the same time I do. The route I take is a popular shortcut that keeps them off the main roads where the police might nab them. Drunks are pretty well known for fixation driving and my LED flasher could be a target for them. I also get the youngun's that are hopped up on energy drinks and making noise with their phart can mufflers. I could actually cut my commute in half by riding a mountain bike and cutting through an overgrown field. In all honesty, most nights after working on thoroughly flogged fleet trucks, I just want to get home ASAP and air my stinking feet out.