View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 07:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
ninferno21
EcoModding Lurker

Dealer put new ima battery in?

Bit of a dilemma. I have an 09 civic hybrid that recently had the check engine and IMA light come on. I took it immediately to the dealer and was told it needs a new IMA battery that will cost $5000 but luckily it is still under warranty. I have about 12k miles left until I hit the 80K mile warranty expiration.

Previous to all of this happening I replaced the actual car battery. I know that usually fixes the IMA issue but it was done previous the IMA light coming on.

The day after the IMA and engine light came on, it turned off. And even while the light was on it went through the SoC levels from depleted to full. The car has driven the same light on or not. Granted it was about 15 degrees outside, I wonder if the temperature had anything to do with it. I drive the car daily.

From what I have read Honda sometimes may use a refurbished battery. Which I would hope is not the case because those have about 2 years on them. I was going to ask Honda if I could keep the old battery "just in case". Which would cure my qualms about having it replaced with a possible refurb.

Any whoot my main debate is to replace or not to replace a possibly non defected battery. What do you all think?