View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 09:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
Gasoline Fumes
Too many cars

CRXFi - '88 Honda CRX XFi

Insight 256 - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights

Insight 5342 (no IMA) - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 66.3 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by War_Wagon View Post
Oh ok, I didn't know the wagon and the coupe transmissions were different. Like you said I am pretty sure I wouldn't be able to notice that difference without a tach though. The input shaft bearing is noisy in this trans, I know it's common but I am not going to do anything about it right now. I am going to change the fluid for what it's worth though, is there a synthetic fluid you would suggest for these gearboxes Gasoline Fumes or should I just stick with the Honda stuff?
When I put the HF trans in my Wagon, I initially reused the old Honda fluid. It shifted great, better than the original trans. I tried Mobil 1 0w-20 synthetic motor oil in the trans. Not a good idea. It might be more efficient, but the synchros don't like it. I picked up two quarts of Pennzoil Synchromesh, I'm just waiting for a shifter shaft seal to arrive. I've read that the Honda fluid is too thin for an older Honda trans. I don't know if that's true, my main reason for not using it is the lack of a local Honda dealer. Redline MTL is probably good too.

I have a noisy bearing too. Mostly in first gear.
2006 Honda Insight (parts car)
1988 Honda CRXFi
1994 Geo Metro