View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 10:24 AM   #95 (permalink)
cvetter
EcoModding Apprentice

Vetter on numbers

I confess. I have always been suspicious of people who do quick calculations to give me a number. Do their numbers account for winds? Blasts coming from the front? From the side driving on wet wire mesh bridges? Do they account for Peterbilts passing in either direction in ferocious winds? Climbing mountains? Do numbers account for riding comfort? Staying dry in the rain? Ease of use? Etc. etc.

Of course we could go on and on.

I would rather design, build, ride and learn. I would rather fix what is wrong and ride some more. Eventually, the problems to fix are pretty minor. That is where the Last Vetter Fairing is now.

In the Vetter Challenges, we are learning that while my 16 hp Honda Helix has the power, it runs at the edge of its ability at 75 mph, into powerful headwinds, up hills. It wears out too quickly. It is working too hard. On the other hand, the Ninja 250s in the Challenge easily cross America to the Challenges and when they get there, consume less fuel than my Helix.

If I were to start over, it would be with a Ninja 250. We learn these things on the road, not from charts.

If somebody had a well thought out kit for streamlining, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I save my efforts for things I cannot buy.

Certainly I understand that shipping to Australia will eat you up and you are probably forced to make your own streamlining. Study what I have done. There is a reason for every line. See if you can better.

It would be informative to post a rough number of hours spent on making your own nose.

Craig

By the way... my figlass guy charges me $500 for the 2 nose kit. I am not doubling this at $750 because the parts are not as perfect as I would like. At $750, per nose kit, I think they represent a bargain.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cvetter For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-30-2013), deejaaa (08-22-2013)