View Single Post
Old 06-16-2008, 03:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Blue07CivicEX
EcoModding Apprentice

NewBlue - '07 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 38.13 mpg (US)

The Better Half - '97 Ford Ranger XLT
90 day: 25.84 mpg (US)
The reason for the coupons is because the gov't is FORCING broadcast television to go digital. The reason for this is to conserve RF frequencies, digital signals can use TDMA (similar to some cellphone carriers) this can put somewhere around 4 tv stations on one RF channel. The reason for this is that in high population areas (NYC, LA etc.) there is so much RF in use that there are no available frequencies for expansion. That fact can be argues either way 1. We don't need more RF the hell with them. or 2. Good I won't get as many dropped calls on my cell phone and the police will be able to respond to my car accident better.

Now, people that choose not to buy cable or satellite currently watch analog television over broadcast. It's usually 3-7 stations, not too much but the basics, news and what not. So, because the gov't is making the technology these people use obsolete they have to provide for an alternative, if you're a cable customer yeah your tax money is going toward somebody that doesn't want to spend $40-$180/month on cable. If the gov't wasn't mandating this there wouldn't be coupons. I hope that helps explain it.

PS. I work for a company that does police radio systems and have a fairly strong working knowledge of RF.
Starting point 30mpg ready...... GO.