View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 05:31 PM   #429 (permalink)
Tesla
Master EcoModder

The Truck - '02 Nissan GU Patrol ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
This application results in a fishtail, since the two sides intersect within a shorter distance than the top and the bottom can. All else being equal, the ideal aerodynamic shape should be a fishtail; not a beaver tail.

The CFD studies that have been done here on EM confirm this, I think.
The other version below is correct application I believe, using centreline to create a symetrical wing section with two mirrored templates.

There seems to be a bit of confusion on applying template to plan view, and I have gone back and looked at a number of threads to try get an answer, Aerohead has said on numerous occassions that the 1/2 width is the correct application for the plan view.

Scroll back up to post 422, that is just a couple of quotes I copied down related to this issue, that confirm the symetrical application below.

There may be other reasons to temper the angles a bit on plan view and I have seen a few comments which touched on the issue with crosswinds, but there was no detailed explanations I found.

So I think it would be a good idea if it was always applied in the correct way, then additional information provided if there is valid reasoning to reduce the rate of the curve for crosswinds or other factors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazInMT View Post
Yes, you could do it this way.

But I'm 99.5% sure it is an incorrect application.

I didn't just guess on the other one. Others told me that was the correct application.