View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 10:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
EZP 545
EcoModding Lurker

Thumbs up EV operation of PHEV

Having explored and used Early, and now more recent Enginer DC-DC converters on an energy transfer project, of Wood to produce electricity for powering a Prius or other EV vehicles, I have now installed an ENGINER system into my 2004Prius NHW20. (Japanese import to New Zealand)
This is operating better than my extectations, and I can see a number of changes that need to be made, but it seems that EV operation for 90+% and 10% on petrol is feasable. This will requir 2 DC-DC converters.
I purchased the early and one later converters from Enginer directly, and Now this complete used system which is installed from another person.
My 2004 Prius now has a Plug in Auxillary 4Kwh which on a run today returned 3 times the regular distance, for the fuel normally used. There is the electricity to add, but it still approaches halving the running cost. So perhaps my 700km per week @ $70 will be halved, and more importantly fuel that is stretched further.
To summarise it managed 18km driving mostly in EV mode included one steep hill 1.5km long, and 6km of motorway kept at a moderate 70-80kmh ( trying maximize range) . Results were 0.29 L of petrol used, and required 1.9KWH to recharge. Showed 62.4 km/L (170mpg)for this run. This ended with a weak lithium cell dropping to min V of 2.5, and BMS shuttdown. The weak cell was already known before installation, and will be addressed once the reality of effectiv running for my daily use of 60miles( allowing for 3 charges per day) has been established . This was at attemped economy maximisation, and did not account for the possible depletion to 40%soc of the main HV battery. At best there is 500wh that could be having an effect, but probably only 250wh. Longer distances and general commuting will answer this in time, but at present I am very plesed with how it is operating.

On the not so good front, this has caused a warning to do with the High Voltage System to make an alert, as in the attachment. My Japanese reading is still not useful enough, although I now recognize the return to previous page symbols. I am hoping to be able to operate without this alert occurring, but first need to know what it says. Probably has a take me to Toyota Doctor Now statement, as it is seeing the additional power as outside possible normal operation. A battery disconect reset cleared this, and then a second Triangle warning self healed after ignoring it for 30km of Phev driivng.
On a test run I did managed 18km driving mostly in EV mode included one steep hill 1.5km long, and 6km of motorway kept at a moderate 70-80kmh ( trying maximize range) . Results were 0.29 L of petrol used, and required 1.9KWH to recharge. Showed 62.4 km/L for the run.
All early days yet, but quite intriguing. The above promising recordings are from one occasion only, and I am hoping it is repeatable for my general usage of 90-100km per day.

Question : Has anyone knowledge of how to trick the Prius Nhw20 , it does have a factory installed EV mode button ,into running at up to 52mph ( my present limit is 36mph on the speedo, which is actually 33mph). I believe that if sufficient charge , and if its made to think the fuel tank is empty, then this higher speed can be obtained.

Thanks George S