View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 04:37 PM   #443 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
wagons/interference/nesting dolls

[QUOTE=Sven7;353004]Tried that on my laptop here (where the numpad is over letter keys) and it opened a History tab and a "save as" window. They say my generation is good at computers but sometimes I just don't know...

Exactly. That's why the width dominates my illustration. I know you weren't trying to cut it short, either

Tropfenwagen, top. Too bad for the unfaired wheels and other 1920's accessories that dragged it down.

Is that Mac?

I know we've been over this before, but isn't it important on wagons that the top of the rear portion doesn't "stick out" of the template? Ie, that we have to move it back until it forms a tangent with the trailing edge. Otherwise you have a vertical step before the boat tail starts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead
If the 'interference is so great as to be able to closely match top and sides we streamline the main body separately from the greenhouse,creating the 'combination form'.[/aerohead]

What do you mean by interference? Is that another way of saying pressure differential?

"advocated the tail truncation at 50% frontal area wake area to ease driving in traffic and parking issues."

How about you cut the tail in half and the smaller half moves in to nest inside the larger one when you need to park. Kinda like aero Russian nesting dolls.
*If the existing roofline is hyper-'Template',then we'd have to 'adjust' for reality.So maintaining vehicle height,we'd slide the 'Template'contour rearwards until it just grazed the existing contour,building back and down from there.
*Interference would be a conflict in the original body architecture which would prevent a contour from beginning where we'd like.EXAMPLE: You've got a BMW 1600 GT and you'd like the body to taper in like the roofline is tapering down.But to do that you'd have to narrow the rear track,like EV1,or Insight-I,and completely re-engineer the rear suspension.Ain't gonna happen!
So the boat-tailing must be dragged rearwards,beginning where crucial internal elements would allow for it.
*The 'nesting' could be your baby! Imagination capital is the only thing which limits our options for aft-body mods.As long as there was no bulkhead at the 50% Af parting line,the extension should just slide right in so long as the depth were there.Fun!
Tesla (01-27-2013)