View Single Post
Old 06-16-2008, 05:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
DKaine
Monster Engineer

ImpalaSS - '96 Chevrolet Impala SS
Send a message via ICQ to DKaine Send a message via AIM to DKaine Send a message via MSN to DKaine Send a message via Yahoo to DKaine
A very cautious introduction...

Hey, all! I feel like I'm stepping into hostile territory here, but I'll introduce myself anyways! (You'll see what I'm talking about in a moment.)

I wouldn't consider myself much of an ecomentalist... I drive a large Chevrolet SUV with a v8 petrol engine, I love my fast, powerful cars, and I'm not about to change my lifestyle and hobbies just yet. At the same time, I take personal responsibility for using my resources efficiently, and I never back down from a challenge, so when I started reading about "hypermiling" and found the EcoModders forum, I figured I'd have a go.

My dream is to eventually join the ranks of the great car builders, like Carroll Shelby, Bruce McLaren and all the rest, as well as own my own company building modified cars. However, in the recent years, that dream has started to appear very difficult to reach as fuel prices have tripled in the last few years, and Big Blocks and double-pumper 4bbl carburetors are on the verge of being forgotten forever.

I realized recently that I can achieve my goals and better the world at the same time - why not modify vehicles to be more fuel efficient, while sacrificing as little "Joie de Conduire" as possible. Am I crazy?