View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 07:08 PM   #457 (permalink)
sgtlethargic
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
sgtlethargic -- I think re-reading all that would just be to dig the hole deeper. Reposting the referenced templates with red arrows attached would make the questions easier to follow.
I agree with the deeper sentiment. I was thinking about posting pictures when I first asked-- I will now.

#1: The "meat" of the template; profile (side) view; for adding a boattail to a vehicle. To use: Line up the "max. roof camber" point with the tallest part of the vehicle body, adjust (scale) size of template #1 to line up the ground planes of the template and the vehicle.

#2: The top or plan view template; to shape the sides of the vehicle. To use: On a top view of the vehicle, line up with roof as in #1, adjust (scale) dimension "d" on template #2 to width of vehicle (make sure to scale the length proportionally).

#3: How is "L" found, what is it related to?

#4: This is what I refer to in post #448 when asking, "What does the other (smaller than the outermost airfoil, larger than the vehicle; not dimensioned) airfoil represent?". This was pretty well answered in post #447, "The template is half of a symetrical airfoil, top half represents a vehicle on the ground, because of ground effect the air acts as if the same image is mirrored below ground."

#5: This is what I refer to in post #448 when asking, "What does the outermost airfoil shape represent?" I still don't understand this. I do see that the overall length equals 2.5 d.

#6: This is #1 through 5 lined up in order from top to bottom to try to give an overview of my mess. The scales should not have changed. I tried to align them vertically (blue and red lines) but they're off some.

Please pardon the drawings. Hopefully this helps clarify things.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	template1.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	12348   Click image for larger version

Name:	template2.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	12349   Click image for larger version

Name:	template3.JPG
Views:	48