View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 08:13 PM   #458 (permalink)
Tesla
Master EcoModder

The Truck - '02 Nissan GU Patrol ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlethargic View Post
I agree with the deeper sentiment. I was thinking about posting pictures when I first asked-- I will now.

#1: The "meat" of the template; profile (side) view; for adding a boattail to a vehicle. To use: Line up the "max. roof camber" point with the tallest part of the vehicle body, adjust (scale) size of template #1 to line up the ground planes of the template and the vehicle.

#2: The top or plan view template; to shape the sides of the vehicle. To use: On a top view of the vehicle, line up with roof as in #1, adjust (scale) dimension "d" on template #2 to width of vehicle (make sure to scale the length proportionally).

#3: How is "L" found, what is it related to?

#4: This is what I refer to in post #448 when asking, "What does the other (smaller than the outermost airfoil, larger than the vehicle; not dimensioned) airfoil represent?". This was pretty well answered in post #447, "The template is half of a symetrical airfoil, top half represents a vehicle on the ground, because of ground effect the air acts as if the same image is mirrored below ground."

#5: This is what I refer to in post #448 when asking, "What does the outermost airfoil shape represent?" I still don't understand this. I do see that the overall length equals 2.5 d.

#6: This is #1 through 5 lined up in order from top to bottom to try to give an overview of my mess. The scales should not have changed. I tried to align them vertically (blue and red lines) but they're off some.

Please pardon the drawings. Hopefully this helps clarify things.
Hope I haven't missed something, but you only have a couple of questions,

#3, this is about L, L is determined by the vehicle dimension, think I mentioned it earlier, it is 1.78d. so for width it is 1.78 x Width and for height from ground it is 1.78 x 2 x height, because of ground mirror, so the two may well end up as different lengths, then you do your best to merge side taper with top taper in construction.

#5 The outermost shape is the template profile, the inner sketchings of vehicle front and wheels is what Aerohead has drawn in to represent what an ideal vehicle may look like, this has taken into account other knowledge of aerodynamics and performance in crosswinds etc.

So the template size is governed by the dimension you are applying it to, the 2.5d is for the full length of airfoil/symetrical body in rotation, but for boattail purposes you only need to work with the 1.78d as this is the length from max camber (0) to tip of tail on the ground (100%).

Hope this gets you another step of the way.