View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 02:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
razor02097
Master EcoModder

Tetanus - '95 Geo Tracker 4WD Base
90 day: 29.43 mpg (US)

300 - '82 Suzuki GS300 L
Last 3: 60.78 mpg (US)

Jeep - '98 Jeep XJ Cherokee Limited
90 day: 12.82 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubby79 View Post
Hmm...I didn't think that'd be useful at first, but I could take the torque measurement as a baseline of how much power it would take to keep overcoming the compression and assume I'd lose that much torque at any rpm as waste. Technically there'd be two compression strokes every 3 revolutions, and you'd probably gain back some of that energy when you pass TDC and the compressed air now pushes the piston down in favour of the direction it's rotating...bla bla bla...but I could write off that and the extra 1/3rd as estimated friction losses...

So if it took 10 ft-lbs and it took my motor 100 amps to make 10 ft/lbs, I could assume I'd be throwing away a constant 100 amps. Hmm. Maybe, maybe not. I doubt it'd take ~10hp to maintain whatever rpm I'd get at 72v. It might take that much to start it though.

I think I should just make a rough bracket to hold my motor to the engine, slap a belt around it and the crank pulley and read how many amps it's sucking down to keep the engine rotating. I'd know exactly how much I'd be wasting that way.
It would only take higher amperage to accelerate it. There would be a big draw to start it from a dead stop. Once it is at speed the inertia will keep the ICE turning with less effort. All that said maybe you could use the inertia of the engine spinning down for regen?

Project Avalon: E bike build