View Single Post
Old 06-16-2008, 06:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Volones
EcoModding Lurker

I know you are asking for things to build onto your list, but I simply must dispute a couple of your entries.

1) Stay as close to the right side of the road as possible.
It is more safe (and follows the letter of the law) to stay as close to the right side of the road as practical, not possible. The difference may only be a few inches at times, and might be quite a bit more at other times, but I strongly advise against riding through the trash on the shoulder of the road and/or riding too close to a steep shoulder, as neither are safe for the cyclist.

2) Slow down for stop signs, .......
NEVER, but never run a stop sign, ever. This behavior is most often brought up by car-centric people when they enter into a discussion about sharing the road (or not sharing it) with cyclists. This point allows them to say that since bicyclists don't stop at the stop signs then they shouldn't be on the road. PLEASE follow the laws, please! I really can't stress this enough, as it does infuriate many drivers. And yes, I know that the vast majority of drivers do the exact same thing you're describing and complain about it when cyclists do. If you don't want to put a foot down, then restart, try a track-stand, it's a great way to impress people and a decent conversation starter with drivers.

With your lighting, I would add putting an LED hiking headlamp with blinking capability on your helmet so you can direct the signal where you are looking. It will amaze you how quickly drivers get on their brakes when you look at them with it. It saved me from getting 't-boned' countless times, and only costs about $20 for a really nice one.

*Time period is from 1 January 2006 - 1 March 2007*