View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 01:40 PM   #27 (permalink)
MTXA
Runs with scissors

Spot - '05 Scion XA
90 day: 30.33 mpg (US)
I've only recently been looking at electric cars, so forgive me if I don't have my facts straight. I could easily get one for myself and use my wifes car for longer trips. The cost of buying one is what would keep me away. The offerings by the major manufacturers have too many bells and whistles and I wouldn't buy an ICE car for myself loaded up like that anyways. The EVs that I have seen that I would consider fall into the neighborhood electric vehicle (NEV) classification and are limited to lower speed roads. That is a deal breaker because even here in town I would not be able to get to places I would normally go. Example, the Miles Electric ZX40ST Plug into Miles Electric Vehicles, Miles Electric Vehicles is a decent utility vehicle at a reasonable price, but I couldn't legally or safely drive it to the local home center for a few 2x4s. To the point, I personally would be interested in a bare bones, highway legal, capable of light hauling, under $25k EV. There just doesn't seem to be anything offered in this range of criteria.