View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 01:56 PM   #28 (permalink)
razor02097
Master EcoModder

Tetanus - '95 Geo Tracker 4WD Base
90 day: 29.43 mpg (US)

300 - '82 Suzuki GS300 L
Last 3: 60.78 mpg (US)

Jeep - '98 Jeep XJ Cherokee Limited
90 day: 12.82 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
Regular maintenance on today's ICE cars still costs you about $3000-3500 per 90K miles. The regular maintenance on an EV is virtually $0 for 90K miles.

The electricity to drive those 90K miles is about $3600 (at 340Wh/mile and 12 cents/kWh) - you can actually drive it for $2700 with only a little bit of ecodriving (at 250Wh/mile and 12 cents/kWh). So, you can drive the EV for the same *or less* money than just the cost of regular maintenance of an ICE car.

An average (23MPG) car would cost you $13,300 to drive that same 90K miles; and if the price of gas goes up, you save all the more money.

Or you could do what my brother is doing and pay $1400 down payment on a solar PV installation, and then pay $22-122 *less* per month for his electricity *and* then he and his wife can drive their electric cars for "free".

Have you ever tried making your own gasoline?
Why are you comparing a sub compact EV to a mid or full size regular sedans? Standard compact cars get 30-35 MPG. I was just looking at it from a realistic view and gave the EV the best shot by not comparing it to a hybrid variant.

I don't know much about solar PV systems but typically people would charge their electric vehicle at night no? Even if there is a battery array to hold the charge there would still be a draw on the grid. All that aside the typical person isn't going to drop $35 to $40 grand on an electric vehicle then another $25 grand on a solar array to drive "Free" Instead you could buy a nice hybrid vehicle and fuel for a few years.

I haven't made my own gasoline, attempting it would be illegal and dangerous. That said batteries aren't exactly safe either. There is a way to make biodiesel at home which is relatively safe and very cost effective provided you can get your oil free.

Project Avalon: E bike build