View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 12:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
c_silva88
EcoModding Lurker

o - '84 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanoshee View Post
i think it's running lean at idle but good at high rpms. and did they have o2 sensors in 85? i'm not sure if this truck was pieced together or if it was converted to fuel injected or special ordered or what?. i'm thinking it was converted well a good while ago. and now it just ain't quite right. i don't think it has a cat either. but the valves do tap pretty bad. we've been using it too much to tear it down any. low range rpms run pretty bad. ESSPECIALLY under load i'm starting to think we just need to go get an l-6 but like i say before i put too much money into i'de buy a 2wd highway truck.
my 84 has a computer controlled carb which uses an o2 sensor to adjust the air/fuel mixture. and even with the computer controlled stuff acting up ( runs extremely rich)i can consistently get 18mpg out of the 4.9. now swapping a 4.9 in place of your 5.0 is straight forward you can use you current wiring and transmission i can walk through the swap as far in what you'll need and what to do wiring wise, i've done a couple.and complete motors can be had for cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000neon View Post
I couldn't tell you to be honest. Although I would guess that having the valves closed would be better, since to have no compression, both valves would be open, and so the piston would still be pumping a whole lot of air, which I think would lower efficiency by quite a bit.

Also, I wouldn't suggest swapping an inline 6 for the V8, a buddy of mine has had a pile of these trucks, with both motors, and he has consistently found that the V8's actually have better mileage, until you start driving it hard. Especially for you pulling stumps and really using the truck, the V8 is most likely the better all around engine.

He usually averaged about 15 MPG, but his is 2WD. How is your truck mechanically? Plugs, wires, cap, timing, fuel filter, etc.?
why wouldn't you suggest it? ford used the 300 everything including larger dump trucks, many weighing into the 15,000–20,000 pound (7,000–9,000 kg) range. and a 4.9 will out last a 5.0. the 4.9 has a bulletproof reputation and its known for its low end torque by every one .