View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 08:43 PM   #39 (permalink)
niky
Master EcoModder

I did. Twice now. I am still puzzled why you think that it actually disproves my point. Unless you're suggesting that a rocket and its exhaust form a non-inertial frame of reference... because they don't. I wish you would explain how a rocket travelling at one arbitrary speed in relation to a distant object is any different from another rocket travelling at another arbitrary speed in relation to the same distant object.

This is basically a two-body problem. The rocket is one body, the exhaust is another. Nothing else really matters until you get up to a significant portion of the speed of light.

-

If the EM Drive is real, and it actually works, it's a photon drive, just like a light sail, so, yes, you are throwing out mass behind you in the form of radiation.

Of course, the inventor claims that the radiation never leaves the device, and that it can produce electricity on deceleration (in spaaaaaace), which means that he has just invented perpetual motion. Since deceleration is merely acceleration in the opposite direction.

-

Find it funny that the Chinese test rig isn't isolated from the atmosphere. A metal microwave resonator would make a very nice, toasty surface. In which case, it's producing thrust by heating the air around it... as the world's most expensive and over-rated electric fan.

I'd test the whole thing in a vacuum chamber with a Faraday cage to isolate it. A rotating rig sitting on the lab floor is just so... drama queen-ish.

Last edited by niky; 01-31-2013 at 10:28 PM..