View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 07:42 AM   #58 (permalink)
razor02097
Master EcoModder

Tetanus - '95 Geo Tracker 4WD Base
90 day: 29.43 mpg (US)

300 - '82 Suzuki GS300 L
Last 3: 60.78 mpg (US)

Jeep - '98 Jeep XJ Cherokee Limited
90 day: 12.82 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECONORAM View Post
I think these pod bumps could possibly work, but I don't see how one could actually get bonafide gains without precise placement on the vehicle. The information I've read about vortex generators and microvanes talks about how they have to be properly placed/positioned, or they'll harm airflow instead of improving it. This is the reason I've not tried any VGs or such stuff; I don't want to do hundreds of miles of tuft testing to see if I got it right or not, when there are several proven items I can install and benefit from...
I'm not an aeronautical engineer but I know that if you are going to put VGs on a vehicle they need to not only be placed correctly but scaled to the application. If they are too small they might not affect the air enough and too big they would create more drag than without. That said they probably need to have the shape tweaked depending on where they will be placed and how large they are.

If the company was out to sell a product that reduces your aerodynamic drag there would be testing with many different vehicles. There would be instructions on where to place them and there would be different types of gas pods that are used for different vehicles and the unique shapes found on those vehicles.

Being $30 for a set of 3 my non technical opinion is there is insufficient proof to but 2 or 3 sets to attempt to reduce drag. For $60-$90 one can buy a lot of material for mods or instrumentation that are proven over and over to work.

Project Avalon: E bike build