View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 09:30 AM   #31 (permalink)
plasticuser
EcoModding Lurker

Annette - '04 Ford F150 FX4

Penelope - '08 Mazda CX-7 Sport
90 day: 23.47 mpg (US)
I saw that you did that in your thread. I don't want to do that because in this area, the police are liable to write tickets for anything they're not accustomed to, and they often write tickets for people who leave their tailgates down when not carrying a load. They twist the "nothing sticking out more than 6" from the vehicle" law we have locally.

I did the tail as a rough experiment, knowing I could easily cut it off if it didn't work. I chose the shape because it is longest in the center where the airflow is most stable, and shorter at the sides. Also, it was easy to do with two screws, a sharpie and a loop of string.

I will attach a brake light under the lip of the tail, since I don't want a ticket for an obstructed tail light either.

I drove to the airport and back last night in cold conditions with medium winds from the south, and for my round trip, including in town and traffic, plus circling the pickup circle at the airport, I got 22.5 mpg on the Ultragauge, with my 90% skinned cap. So far, I am quite happy with it.