View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 04:27 PM   #35 (permalink)
wmjinman
Master EcoModder

Jimmy - '00 GMC Jimmy SLT
90 day: 21.18 mpg (US)

The White Gnat - '99 Suzuki Swift
Team Suzuki
90 day: 51.87 mpg (US)
You know, what I'm curious about in reading both this thread and the other one about these things is how many and where on the car do you put them? I highly suspect that any type of aerodynamic device like this would be pretty intolerant of incorrect placement. Do the "instructions" address this? Usually a product will have disclaimers about no guarantee if "not used correctly".

I could buy a dozen of them, slap them on the car above the rear window, and test them very carefully, but if they didn't work, I know I'd be wondering if it was because I didn't use the right number or place them in the right position. (of course, I'm not inclined to pay for them since 1> I'm broke, and they seem pretty expensive, and 2> I suspect I'd be wasting my time just to prove something we already suspect anyway)

Like Sven7 said, send them to me with INSTRUCTIONS on where to place them, and how many, and I'd be happy to test them very carefully and fairly, then 1) pay for them & keep them if they work, or 2) return them if they don't. I would actually love it if they would REALLY help.

If you do that with Sven7, me, and maybe MetroMPG, you'd potentially have 3 more testimonials that carry a lot more weight (on this site) than the other "2000 mile people" who's opinions will certainly be influenced by wishful thinking. (wishing they are getting their money's worth)

Of course, if we prove they DON'T work, that would have a negative impact (on this site). So if you're pretty confident we WON'T find gains, that would explain not taking us up on the offer.

EDIT: Oops, I'm sorry - just went to their website and there ARE instructions... place 4 to 5 inches apart and 7 to 10 inches from the back edge of the roof or trunk. And also to put the bulbous portion facing forward in the customary streamline fashion. I would feel more comfortable that I was "doing it right" if I did it now.

Last edited by wmjinman; 02-01-2013 at 04:52 PM.. Reason: To add a correction