View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
nubbzcummins
EcoModding Lurker

The Odyssey Van - '11 Honda Odyssey EX-L
90 day: 29.1 mpg (US)

silver racecar - '13 hyundai accent GS
90 day: 38.8 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
An engine has a "zone" where it is happy and efficient. When you stomp the throttle at low engine speed it is known as "lugging the engine" which is very bad.

What happens is the ECU greatly reduces power by increasing fuel and retarding the timing. It is less controlled because at WOT the ECU enters what is called a power enrichment mode. Typically this involves temporarily entering open loop mode taking the O2 sensors out of the fuel calculation equations. Power enrichment mode is not desirable when you have fuel economy in mind not only because you are using large amounts of fuel to travel the same distance but since the ECU is ignoring the O2 sensors the engine typically ventures into a rich burning state which can be bad for plugs, cat converters, etc.

You aren't really making usable power from the extra fuel but the ECU is making effort to control engine damage... Dumping mass amounts of fuel in and retarding the timing helps the engine lug along until it reaches a point where it is happy again. Once the engine is happy i.e. reaches an appropriate RPM it will add timing and begin to actually make power.

On a side note... 6th gear is an overdrive gear it really isn't meant as an acceleration gear it is meant to be economical.
I did this test just to see what mpg would be in highest gear wot with increasing speed and rpm. Also checking in severial gears to see what would trigger open loop/fuel enrichment. I found that to go into open loop I had to be near wot, lower gears, higher rpm which I can not do in the higher gears due to the speeds that would be reached. Also noticed that in open loop/fuel enrichment conditions afr was in the 11.5-12 range. During this test it stayed in closed loop however afr does get in the lower 13's vs normal 14.7 with less throttle. I guess the cars computer can make the mix richer than 14.7 in closed loop or it is not telling me it is in open loop. Either way it was gaining mpg with speed and rpm which I guess is a sign of bsfc overcoming all of the drag factors?