Thread: CRX HF steal
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 05:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
CRXellent
EcoModding Lurker

Honna - '91 Honda Civic EX Hatch

Potash - '91 Honda CRX HF
Talking CRX HF steal

Greetings all,

I have lurked here for years but never registered because well, I didn't have a project. Now I do, so here I be.

Just snagged a 91 CRX HF for $300, tad rough on the outside, needs a fender and paint, but shes pretty straight! Kid put a ebay header to coffee can tip exhaust on it - shudder, but didn't get around to molesting it any more.

I have a jap engine importer friend of 20 years who is onboard with helping me create a MPG monster out of this car, so I am trolling for advice!

What I have read is a really good path is the VX conversion, which can be done, but other ideas we have had are:

Drop to 1300cc using older block, retain stock injection, hop up compression ( I live a mile above sea level roughly )

Insight engine - adapt to HF transaxle - possible turbo to combat hills

Vtec modifications to drop center two cylinders at cruise speed

Other wierd non US Honda engines - he is an importer and goes there, and there's always a pile of non sellable " oddball " engines in the corner .. what did the Beat use? Any thoughts on using one of these unobtainable engines?

Aerodynamics - are ANY of the aftermarket front clips worth doing for aero? or just bling bling look at me my honda thinks its a bmw..

Wheels - I have a set of 13" Enkei aeronautics that feel pretty light, did some searches for HX and VX rims.. seem rare

Thats it for now, I will continue to read more threads, as I am certain some of these questions have been beaten to death