View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
88FieroGT
EcoModding Lurker

exactly but this is extreme cycle abuse unsure of what the actual displacement the clutch will be abused from and how many rpms , I just know that since its almost 2x as efficient output torque will be equal to a normal engine with half the displacement with redline is the same if breathing allows it

it switches from disengaged to engaged and engaged to disengaged a total of 12000 times at 6000 rpms with combustion torque. can these clutches whether sprag or ball bearing actually hold up to that much cycle abuse

cause at 6000rpm if thats considered peak power in the engine would end up being 6000 cycles in 1 minute and from ones I have seen that actually list the cycle life is only like 500,000 cycles which would only last 80-90 minutes total redline abuse before maintenance is required not including sub redline wear.

I am just wanting other peoples opinions as to whether it could hold up in a normal power rated engine for a considerable enough amount of time to actually say its worth using in my design and the clutch wont end up being TOO big to be used inside of an engine at the point where it can handle the abuse. Like say its a maintenance item thats required to be changed every 10,000 miles sounds like the minimum plausible amount of time to me as long as the design can allow for easy quick replacement at a fair cost

Well actually thinking more about it , it doesnt have to be inside the engine it can be outside mounted to the rotating shaft so size can be bigger than I initially thought even though still has to be practical , engine size wont need to scale up to make them compatible by making a stronger clutch without having to increase engine displacement or change bore/stroke ratio. Just adds in an extra component is all , fair trade off..

Last edited by 88FieroGT; 02-04-2013 at 03:11 PM..