View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 10:11 PM   #114 (permalink)
Curtis in Texas
EcoModding Lurker

Hi Folks, let me put this out for your consideration!

I have a plated, legal and insured converted 10 HP Diesel KLR that I ride here in Texas and I can tell you that 10 HP is not enough engine, unless you don't plan on ever getting on the Highway The best I can do is 55 mph with mine on flat ground Small hills are a challenge I've thought about turboing it, but it has a CV transmission and just doesn't hook up well enough for highway use, so the turbo would be a waste of money with the CV Tranny like it is!

I bought it off a friend and it's been a fun bike to ride out here in the Country, kinda like riding an overgrown mini bike! I've have taken off and ridden it into the city where it did ok, but it really need a manual transmission to be a great ride! I'm building a Diesel Tiger this Spring, which should make for a great commuter bike!

If you'd like to see it my KLR it's on You Tube under Diesel KLR if you're curious enough to look for it It's the green and silver one This vid was made by the original builder and I haven't made many changes to it since I got it other than clean up some parts the original builder didn't have the tooling to make! I run a fabrication company, so I have tubing benders and wire welders and such! It now has a nice header on it

Been thinking about selling it to finance the Tiger build, but I really don't need to I originally bought it so I could get some experience and exposure to living with a diesel motorcycle! And it's been a great teaching tool!

The Diesel Tiger should be a barn burner since it's getting an 850 cc 18 HP 3 cyl Diahatsu engine and a 6 speed transmission!

So forget a 10 HP engine unless you have a turbo and manual tranny for it
BTY, I have a friend near here that also has a 10 HP Kubota diesel powered engine in a Suzuki 850 and it's underpowered too!

Curtis

Forgive the typos, my keyborad is messed up and several keys don't function and I have no period key! Hard to type fast like this!