View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 04:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,393 Times in 3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regenerit View Post
At 60mph at 35degF I get 30mpg. If the temperature went up to 85deg F which is realistic for chicago's summer weather, my fuel economy would jump by 22% to 36.6mpg at 60mph...

...I would not want to starve my engine of air at full throttle (although highly unlikely).
Given the high octane fuel with tuning to take advantage of it and the summer temps, perhaps you can achieve the fuel economy figures you are after. I don't believe the weight reduction will play much into this and will have almost nothing to do with highway fuel economy.

However, the real hindrance to your highway fuel economy goals is your gearing. I don't know what ratio your top gear is, but you mentioned it is a close-ratio gearbox. You're going to be wasting a lot of fuel just spinning the motor at such a high speed. My 6-speed TSX turns 3000 RPM at 70 MPH, which is way to high.

You can't starve an engine of air even running a full grill block, but it might be pulling in warmer air which could marginally reduce full power. Some people on this forum install warm air intakes to increase their fuel economy though. I get the sense that performance is your primary interest, with fuel economy as a secondary bragging right. Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

I choose a balance of performance, economy, and price by sticking with a 4-cylinder TSX.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!