View Single Post
Old 06-17-2008, 04:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
AnDoireman
EcoModding Lurker

Baz - '93 Peugeot 106
90 day: 62.39 mpg (US)
100+ hypermilling / ecodriving tips article

There's a point on it, if anyone could clarify for me, I'd like to take up.

Quote:
43) The most efficient way to slow down

When you *have* to slow down, here's an approximate heirarchy of methods, from best to worst.

1) coasting in neutral, engine off (ie. roll to a stop);
2) coasting in neutral, engine idling;
3) regenerative coasting (hybrid vehicles)
4) regenerative braking (hybrid vehicles)
5) coasting in "deceleration fuel cut-off" mode (in gear, above a certain engine RPM)
6) conventional friction braking (non-hybrid or hybrid)

Choosing the right method depends on traffic conditions (following vehicles) and how quickly you need to stop.
#5, I would think should be placed at #2, and safer/better than #1. It's my understanding that whilst coasting in gear in a modern injection engine (although this could perhaps just be a modern diesel?), the ICE stops consuming fuel, and runs off the kinetic energy you have consumed. Whereas, if you go into neutral, your engine will still be ticking over, at say 800rpm, and consuming fuel. The only reason I can see that #2 would be higher is because you can coast for longer like that, although that means you don't stop as quickly, which of course equates to energy not lost, but when you're idling, you're still burning fuel. Have I overlooked something major? Or perhaps American petrol engines are different?

Goal: 3L/100KM