View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 11:57 AM   #124 (permalink)
Curtis in Texas
EcoModding Lurker

!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterS View Post
Which is where a Craig Vetter type fairing comes in. From the drag coefficient of his fairing suggested here
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...-24166-10.html and using the calculator at the top of this page I calculate a top speed for a 10hp diesel powered bike WITH a Vetter style fairing would give 70mph and 120mpg US..... but as you say, 55 mph without a fairing .
Yes, that's my KLR I redid the intake and exhaust! The intake now breathes through the stock air cleaner, (much bigger than what was on it) and I made the exhaust with rounded smooth tubing to the gutted stock muffler And a couple of other cosmetic changes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterS View Post
Me too, but I can't see why a fairing wouldn't be acceptable unless you ride very rough stuff. I mainly ride dirt roads and forestry trails and the Vetter fairing wouldn't stop me.... but it would allow highway use.

A standard bike uses too much power pushing air out of the way.
True! That's why it's top end is only 55 mph1 I use mine out here at the Ranch in the Country, riding around the pastures and running up the road to visit the other pasture at my cousins ranch And stopping at the local convience store for ice cream treats! (I don't drink alcohol, but can eat my weight in ice cream) My only vice I promise!
But even as chunky in the wind as it, it still gets 130 mpg on a good day! I only registered 98 mpg as I flogged it testing and trying to get more ponies out of it!

This bikes performance would be greatly improved for street use, if it just had a 5 speed transmission from a Royal Infield But those things are made out of gold if you didn't know already! Not enough room for a bigger transmission! That's why I'm building the Diesel Tiger, it's got a lot more room in the engine area! But I still don't think it would maintain 65 mph in all conditions! Although it does rev to 4 grand easily! Just not under load as the drive belt slips as it heats up!

But, Like I said, I bought it as an teaching tool!
It sure is an attention getter! One guy ran into the gas station to tell the attendant to shut off my pump because I began pumping diesel in my motorcyle by mistake! Had to explain to them both that it really did run on diesel! The look on their faces ! Texans are not use to that sort of thing!!!!!