View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,393 Times in 3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regenerit View Post
You hit it right on the head with performance as my primary interest, followed by fuel economy. However, fuel economy is a close second as noted by me getting a 2 cylinder turbo charged engine over typical V6 of the other competitors and in addition, I researched the Cd's and fuel economies of all of the competitors...

As a final important note, if I decided to install higher gearing (which I'm a bit skiddish about due to the fear of it costing too much), would I have to have my transmission replaced or would it simply be literally installing an extra tall gear and how much money would I expect to pay with the parts and professional installation?
When I was in the market for a car, I looked at all of the aspects that you mentioned, but overlooked the drive ratio. Since my car is a 6-speed, I just assumed it has a tall 6th gear. Unfortunately it's rather short, as is your ratio. I'm sure 6th gear would never be used on a race track anyhow, so I'm disappointed the engineers didn't just make the last gear tall. Since I have a close-ratio manual gearbox, I find that stop and go driving yields the same MPG as steady freeway cruising.

For my manual gearbox, I can swap out the final drive with a different ratio. The RSX has a taller ratio, but only marginally so and the cost of the part is $300. No idea how hard it is to install. Then there is a $1000 custom part with a good ratio, but that is a lot of money and I have no idea what it would do to my speedometer, cruise control, odometer, stability control, ABS, etc.

I don't know what the cost or complexity would be to change your ratios, but it would likely have a negative impact on performance and possibly mess with other systems that rely on having a stock ratio. This would be a better question for a Genesis forum.

EDIT: From what I have read on other forums, the best value for dollar you can spend in the performance department will be lightweight wheels/tires.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 02-05-2013 at 07:15 PM..