View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,392 Times in 3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Boil the frog slowly, breeders... :/
I'm not a breeder. In other news, the U.S. would have a negative population growth if it weren't for immigration. The "problem" of population growth will be resolved in much less dramatic fashion, as evidenced by many developed nations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobnev View Post
A man could make a fortune by getting a vendors licence and a little cart, and standing by the highway during congestion, selling time.
Exactly what people do in just about every country south of the U.S., sans vendors license. None of them struck me as having made a great fortune.

The American spin on the idea is to stand out near traffic, but instead of offering a good or service, just expect money for nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian View Post
Back to the original topic of wasted time in traffic, that is a very real problem that needs to be addressed. It is getting worse, too. How do we fix the problem we already have?

My personal solution is to live where it's not a problem.
The first step will be smarter traffic control devices. Traffic signals will be networked and a centralized management strategy will control the timing to increase flow efficiency. The existing induction sensors in the road will monitor traffic volume and the system will get "smarter" and begin altering timing to further increase efficiency.

Beyond this, cars will drive themselves and coordinate movement to maximize safety and efficiency. This will greatly increase efficiency as the current behavior of drivers constantly changing lanes is inefficient and slows everyone down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
...could alleviate most short-term congestion by simply staggering shift times...
Very good suggestion. I don't know why everyone works 8am-5pm. Most office work doesn't even require people to commute, and doesn't demand that people arrive all at the same time. This old habit will have to change.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 02-05-2013 at 06:52 PM..