View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 01:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
War_Wagon
5 Gears of Fury

Spunky - '90 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 35.56 mpg (US)
There is a post somewhere on this forum about installing a light on the dash that tells you when you are in lean burn. Sorry I don't have more info, but going from my swiss cheese of a memory that's the best I have for you. There is also an article on another site on how to make a simple circuit to add to your setup to keep it in lean burn longer. It is based on a first gen Insight, but it might work for you too. I think I even linked someone else to it at one point but I sure can't find it now. Something like "Insight lean burn throttle smoothing" might assist your Google-Fu.

And lean burn, to my knowledge, is the ability of the fuel injection system to work with a wider ratio of air to fuel ratios. So a normal car will run at 14.7:1, and try to maintain that ratio. But a lean burn system has the ability to read a wider degree of ratios, and adjust accordingly. So in other words, it may start off at say 15:1, but when you are on the highway, cruising at light load, it will start to lean the system out. Now it's at 18:1. Then it's at 21:1, etc. It will do this until there is a change in load that makes it work harder and fatten up. This is also why Insights and VXs had weird emissions systems on them, because even though they are very efficient, running a car really lean makes for more nitrogen production. At least that's what I seem to remember, someone please correct me if I am wrong but I am doing the best I can given the amount of empty beer cans on my countertop right now ha ha.

Last edited by War_Wagon; 02-06-2013 at 01:23 AM..