View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 05:20 PM   #45 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
If the car is the one linked in post 41 the most telling picture is number 8, which if I am correct is the instrument cluster located above the steering column. I believe it shows the water level with a residue on the bottom of the instrument inside the cluster itself. I could certainly be wrong but if those assumptions are true and based only on the photos provided, the water level was about the same height as the bottom of the door windows.

Most of these salvage auctions are fairly well covered with a lot of the vehicles shipped overseas. It's very competitive bidding. Might be best to find another one with some damage and use the sheet metal to fix it. Many potential buyers look the cars over throughly in person and they know what to look for.

Picture number 8 would be enough to scare me out of bidding on that car with the intention to repair it. It does not mean you will not do well with the parts over a period of time, but if that is residue from water at the bottom of that gauge and that gauge is higher than the steering column the there was water inside the car up to your armpits if you were sitting in the drivers seat.

The title is listed as IA salvage, not NC. Not sure about that, could be titled originally in Iowa (IA). Possible where it was built?

regards
Mech