View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 10:42 PM   #468 (permalink)
jamesqf
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
My view is that if we are going to commit several $tn, and the future GDP of the world...
Now where exactly are most people talking about committing several trillion, or GDP, or whatever? The money spent won't change, it'll just be directed to e.g. nuclear power plants, solar panel makers, railways, and so on, instead of going to oil companies, coal mines, etc.

(I say most, because there are always people looking to skim off a bit for themselves or their pet projects, but this is true of everything.)

Quote:
...and probably the future wellbeing of those in the 3rd world (who don't seemingly have a choice)...
Except that the present course of action seems highly likely to create less overall wellbeing in the 3rd world, not to mention the 2nd and 1st worlds, even if we completely leave out any consideration of CO2 and its consequences. That's the really ironic thing about your complaint above: by redirecting those several trillion dollars, we would get a far better world to live in. Mitigating AGW would be a bonus :-)

Quote:
...I think we need to know everything, not just what one "set" of scientists or the WWF (who voted for them ?) say. That means questionning everything - including muppets who dismiss CO2 as a trace gas.
Sure, question stuff, but at some point you either have to accept that there actually ARE answers (even if you don't happen to like those answers), or you have to admit that your "questioning" is just tinsel wrapping over wishful thinking.

Quote:
BTW I liked your energy saving. Do you think a lot can be applied to those who rent or live in a flat (aka appartment) instead of a house ?
Sure. Of course some things depend on the landlord - you can't readily go adding insulation to your apartment - but you can do things like turning down the water heater, adding window film, or drying clothes on a line instead of using an electric dryer. (Which in my experience is pretty common in Europe anyway. When I lived in Switzerland, in an area where ordinary houses started in the $1 million range, every back yard seemed to have its rotary clothes line.) And of course renters can always vote with their rent money: if they're willing to seek out apartments with higher energy efficiency and thus lower utility bills.

The Following User Says Thank You to jamesqf For This Useful Post:
Occasionally6 (07-10-2013)