View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 11:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
serialk11r
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
I also tested 93 octane e0 mixed with 30% ethanol (e85) because it cost the same per gallon as e10 87 in this mix, and I could not find e0 87 anymore. This tank was moot (matched FE) and there was no cost savings but the car ran better in specific situations (aka low RPM) and seemed a tad peppier.

So yes you can get slightly better FE with better octane or you can use e85 and get premium like fuel at a slightly better price point without a fuel economy hit. (if you find your cars sweet spot)

Good Luck
Ryan
I mixed 87 E10 gas up to 20% ethanol with E85 (the E85 was overpriced as hell though since I'm in California) and the fuel economy seemed to be about the same as straight 87, and I think the engine was a little happier but maybe that's just placebo effect. I think the effective octane would've been about 90, my motor is 10:1 compression though. I don't have many entries in my fuel log though so it's hard to say. I'd love to do several tanks of E20 back to back sometime to get more data, but it's kind of a pain in the ass to go blend in 1.5 gallons of the stuff just to save 50 cents.