View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #5998 (permalink)
MPaulHolmes
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
I got a free golf cart! Well, the brother-in-law of my neighbors gave me the golf cart, and it didn't belong to him. So, now I probably have to pay for it. haha. It had been sitting in their backyard for a few years. It was completely toasted. Really old. Maybe 30 years. I've got everything ripped out, and a 12v battery inside, with a contactor so I can drive around on/off. Actually, my son is going to drive it around tonight, but I first have to go get some bolts for the albright/curtis contactor. He's only 5. Is that legal? haha. But I'll be in the passenger seat with the on-off switch. The contactor also has an emergency disconnect button.

I have an old prototype controller power section, so I'm going to do a control board, and put that in the golf cart. it's going to be fun! Most golf carts aren't "throttle proportional to current".

I'm getting solar panels in a little over a month with my retirement money from working at the college. Soon I'll be driving around and cooling our house with sunlight. Isn't it funny that the sun can make things colder?