View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #35 (permalink)
fb_bf
Electric MG Midget

I'm glad to hear you're keeping the transmission. I think many converters think they can do without it, but your comment about limited RPM range is right on. I kept my clutch, and my car drives like a ICE version. It's interesting to hear you don't have issues with shifting without the clutch. I would have never thought that. For my car, my torque almost matches the peak torque of the ICE engine, so I didn't worry about burning out the clutch. I machined the the flywheel down to the outer diameter of the clutch to reduce the rotary inertia losses from the flywheel. Unless your torque is way over the clutch limit, which means your over the whole drive train limit, I still think maintaining a clutch is a good idea. I see these incredible builds where the people say they left the clutch out to make it easier to do. I keep thinking that after all that work, you didn't bother to keep the clutch? Good luck on this build, though I don't think you need luck, you already know what you're doing.