View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013, 12:36 AM   #29 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,594 Times in 7,077 Posts
Quote:
The elipsoid is just that, an elipse, highest point of camber at halfway point along the length and basically identical front and rear.
The Dymaxion isn't like that.

You'll see that when I said "what's an ellipsoid" I was being disingenuous. I didn't respond promptly because I've been under the weather (I'm not complaining because I'm down 10 pounds and a week ahead on my grocery budget )

I did show this before, a symmetrical, prolate 4v octahedron.

I hadn't run the software that generates the primitive geometry for a year or two and I'm sure it ran in the Terminal on Mac OSX but it doesn't want to now; but finally I found my old laptop running System 9.2.1 and managed to wrestle a 6v octahedron out of it. I tried something more exotic, a octahedral Bucky ball but had no further success.

I pipelined it through a 2nd program to convert file types and took it into Wings 3D.

Half the sphere was stretched 230% to get 0° camber at 30/70 forebody/afterbody ratio.

The bottom half was selected and reduce to 25% as a rough approximation of an underbody. It looks like I missed a step where I scaled on the X axis to get a 2.5:1 fineness ratio.

The entire object was reduced on the Z axis to 62% (Golden Ratio).

4 is 2.3x2.5, so I scaled in X by 230% to get a 4:1 fineness ratio.

Finally I added some materials for better visualization.

Additional modification aft the 22° camber point could even more closely match the template. The point would be that this method can provide any level of accuracy required, or attainable. You can see the improvement in contour between 4v and 6v. At 16-20v you'd have a monster data cloud, but it could be passed directly to a 3D printer.