View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013, 08:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
razor02097
Master EcoModder

Tetanus - '95 Geo Tracker 4WD Base
90 day: 29.43 mpg (US)

300 - '82 Suzuki GS300 L
Last 3: 60.78 mpg (US)

Jeep - '98 Jeep XJ Cherokee Limited
90 day: 12.82 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
He also has tires on his truck that could very well cost $1,000 for a set and if they are anything like the truck tires we have at work, you replace them twice as often as car tires.
It's not just the fuel that makes trucks expensive to drive, but as it is, 15,000 miles per year at 15mpg is $3,500 in fuel, even 40mpg is $1,300 or a $2,200 savings just in fuel!
As an owner of a lifted Jeep and a commuter car I gave my advice based on personal experience. I thought I should pass it on.

Just going out and laying down a grand or 2 on a car doesn't necessarily call it done. After I bought my tracker a tune up, brakes and fluid change all around easily ate $500. I had to insure it, buy registration and put a tag on it. All said and done I have a great little commuter but it is going to take quite a while to pay for itself with fuel savings. Remember registration, inspections, maintenance and insurance are all reoccurring costs.

Before you say something about inspecting a vehicle before you buy it remember you are talking about a cheap commuter typically bought from an individual. There is no warranty, no certified pre owned nonsense. Even if it's in great shape it would be unwise to rely on it without establishing a maintenance baseline. I for one wouldn't rely on brakes every day if I had no clue the condition of them....or a battery if it is questionable... etc.

Project Avalon: E bike build