View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013, 08:44 PM   #41 (permalink)
wndsofchng
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks for all the compliments!!! I bought the Buick out of a barn. I am the 3rd owner. Previous owner had dreams of restoration but only got the brakes done. The original 264 had 3 stuck valves, stuck bad! and 2 speed slushbox. The first owner had passed away and the car was sold out of the estate. The mileage 57k is believed to be correct (no roll over) by records. The car was well kept. When I pulled the engine to have the heads machined and re-ring it.... The cost for parts was phenomenal. $1200+ for basic rebuild parts not including machining. Another 1k to rebuild the trans. I let it sit for a while then thought..... I have several engines laying around, let me update.... test fit several things from ford to chevy and after much hemming and hauling (many friends say I'm ruining american steel by going so non-traditional) I decided the diesel not only fit my crazy style (redneck recycler?? HA HA HA) but would be the best fit for my environmental passion as well. The car's curb weight original is about 4400 lbs. The cast engine and trans combo weigh about the same as the diesel and 700R4. The new rear axle weighs about 1/3 of the original it is a 3.08 gear. The 6.2 in my old 3/4 suburban with a turbo 400 does 25-27 hwy mpg... I'm hoping to get more in the Buick with the lower stance, smaller rear, and better transmission. I certainly like elhigh's point of using material that already exists and repurposing. Cripple rooster, as for the f100, depends if a scrap a ram truck or a fedex truck first! I'd prefer the 4 for weight reasons but I'm not picky!

The Following User Says Thank You to wndsofchng For This Useful Post:
Dave's Civic Duty (02-13-2013)