View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tesla
Master EcoModder

The Truck - '02 Nissan GU Patrol ST
pete c:
I think you'd be doing really well to significantly alter engine temp even with thermostat by passed with a good downhill overrun situation and there is no significant weight gain or complexity if you do not add the larger reservoir and if you are already looking at implementing an adjustable grille block.

Frank Lee:
The A-B-A testing and literature is already there for the cooling system drag so there is little doubt that the benefits are there, but as you say would the intermittant selective operation of the grille block be quantifiable, I'd tend to agree it would be hard to show a benefit.

Unlike many other questionable mods where it is hard to show a benefit, I believe this concept has a better chance of giving a positive return as it is based on known benefits of grille blocking, although it would likely be quite small and could easily be lost through adding unnecessary complexity as pete c suggested.

Using the KISS principle, if someone is already doing the automated grille block controls to allow quicker warm ups, then incorporating this idea does not add further weight or complexity.