View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 04:32 AM   #33 (permalink)
Tesla
Master EcoModder

The Truck - '02 Nissan GU Patrol ST
Wouldn't hold my breath on that one otherwise you might suffer pumping losses.
Did you check the dates?

Never the less exhaust and intake flows always make for good discussions, I've read a few of the older discussions and resisted the grave dig, but seeing as you've brought the corpses out I'll throw my 2c in.

I do understand that any restriction prior to the throttle body is irrelevant as the throttle itself is the greatest restriction, but I do wonder if improved airflow after the throttle body can improve combustion and hence economy. The MAF has measured a certain airflow and the ECU will then decide on appropriate fueling via the injectors, that part is set, but how that volume of air is delivered to the cylinder is what governs the pumping loss surely.

If the manifold is smooth and tuned to the engine needs for the desired operating range it will ensure each cylinder can draw the correct amount of air as it's time comes up, but if it is just a basic tube with one inlet and four outlets, then it will present all kinds of pulsations, turbulence, reverse flows etc. forcing the engine to work harder to draw it's required volume and in addition to that there will be significant variation in how much air each cylinder gets, some will burn lean, whilst others will burn rich.

Just because it is running at a slight vacuum doesn't mean that suddenly flow restrictions and turbulence magically disappear, the air doesn't know it's in a slight vacuum, it still continues to behave like air does.

So yes I believe an appropriately designed and streamlined intake post throttle body can improve FE as can a suitably designed exhaust, so aero inside the engine is just as important as that on the car body.

How do you get it perfect?
With just as much trouble as geting the perfectly streamlined form outside the body most likely.