View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 05:31 PM   #38 (permalink)
Tesla
Master EcoModder

The Truck - '02 Nissan GU Patrol ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
It should be noted that a lot (most? all?) of these magazine "tests" are really just plugs for the product(s) being pushed by advertisers. Check this out: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...k-n-10523.html
Just went through the thread, didn't look at the article,
First point it was determined to be "Bogus" by a roomfull of mutually backslapping ecomodders, maybe the claim was dodgy, but I always question myself when I'm around a bunch of people who all agree with me.
Once you get too comfortable with "been there, discussed that" you start to miss the subtle details of new knowledge.

The most I can see from it is their testing was poorly performed and their claims may have been overinflated,

I didn't see anyone do an A-B-A series of testing using K&N replacement vs new OEM paper filter.

I have heard of people claiming better power and economy with a K&N, but not for me.

The issues with K&N are they do flow more = more crap in engine
The oil can leave residue on the MAF sensor resulting in poor engine management, so I stick with OEM paper filter.

Very true that most of these products are performance/power oriented, but the WOT mantra I constantly hear bantered is such a broad generalisation that just gets thrown about willy nilly that it always pricks my ears and I question if the individual has even bothered to consider the information with an open mind.

For me it is an exploration of knowledge, I'd love to have the funds to explore all this, but until then I will just try to understand it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tesla For This Useful Post:
mcrews (02-11-2013)