View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 12:37 PM   #74 (permalink)
bschloop
Master EcoModder

sr185 bullet - '81 Yamaha SR185 streamliner
Team Streamliner
90 day: 96.35 mpg (US)

Sunny Colarado - '06 Chevrolet Colarado WT
90 day: 24.18 mpg (US)

cbr250s - '12 Honda cbr250
90 day: 115.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterInnovation View Post
The bike is on hold till after I replace the clutch (bummer) but I can still answer some stuff about it:

All of my lights sans headlamp, are led.
Signals: 0.3 watt leds x2 on at a time = .6w
...............0.3 watt brake light x 12 = 4w
..........55/65 watt h4 headlight = 55w most of the time

Total power draw: 60w most of the time.

The truck to peltier cells is to make a junction with three of them (buying in bulk is cheaper anyways, you can always sell what you don't use.) Two hots on the engine, one flipped on its cold side and attached to the cold side of one of the others. Then wiring the solo cell to heat pump from the engine/exhaust to your power generating cell.

The solo cell acts as a boost to your power generating cell. Using the third cell to to create more intense cool, and a higher temp difference, giving you more power.

As for the skin:
I have hundreds of 4x8 coroplast signs that I can use to test fairing designs before I cut a skin for it.

The car comes first until it warms up enough to want a bike again.
This is a good estimate of power draw for my bike as well with one major difference. I will be running a cooling fan @ about 40w. this brings electrical load for lights and cooling to around 100w. I do not see 100w being viable from a motorcycle muffler, especially not one getting over 100mpg. less power used means less waste heat to power the TEG's. I think 50w will be a closer estimate. I can do one better for reducing the load by using an LED halo for DRLs and disabling the low beam, and I am looking into an all LED headlight. this might reduce the load to about 75w. as for cooling the TEG modules, a simple aluminum heat sink works so long as it is about twice the size of the module. using peltiers to cool it sounds like a pretty large load added for a much smaller gain. the other option is small liquid cooling blocks like those used on CPUs, but that seems a little excessive.