Thread: Front air dam
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 01:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
davelobi
EcoModding Apprentice

CRX - '91 Honda CRX HF
Last 3: 63.1 mpg (US)

the ugly one - '97 saturn SL just sl,not sl1 or 2
Team Saturn
90 day: 44.15 mpg (US)

Vibe - '07 Pontiac Vibe
Team Pontiac
90 day: 44.24 mpg (US)

Hoopdie - '05 Toyota Corolla CE
90 day: 42.58 mpg (US)
Front air dam

Hi all, brand new here. Been reading for the last couple of days. What an overload of usefull information. I drive very conservative in all my vehicles including my gas hungry Suburban. I don't currently own a gas mizer but expect to again soon. I was able to break 50 mpg in a 2000 Saturn SL 5 speed with high pressure in tires and lots of coasting (forgot what you called the speed up/coast method). I drove my passengers nuts and it was fun.

I, in my limited knowledge and light amount of reading here so far, believe that the biggest (changeable) factors in increasing economy would be weight, frontal area, drag, and rolling resistance (both mechanical and tires).

I'm not quite willing (ha ha, yet) to add a boat tail or pointed front end on my car and (at this point) do not want to add an entire underbody with plasticor. I am considering wheel skirts for the rear wheels as they can remain flush with the body.

My initial question then is two-fold..

1) Is an airdam on the front worth the additional frontal area if it moves air around the car vs going under it in the "dirty" high drag underbody?

2) Is there enough value to do sections of the underbody with plasticor if I don't do the entire area under the car? I mean are there areas that could be done a little easier, especially certain areas that are higher in drag ("dirty") than others?