View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 07:38 PM   #56 (permalink)
Sven7
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
I'm hoping the range extender, depending on efficiency, could be as small as a 5hp go-kart motor. Wired to turn off when the batteries are full. But it will be primarily, 90% of the time, a full EV (with no gas engine at all).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog 44 View Post
Okay, I read back a few pages. What are you shooting for?

cda 1.5 square feet at cd 0.16 so about 10square feet frontal area.
How much range do you want?
What will be the total weight?
From how small your frontal area is, i imagine it'll be far less than 1,500lbs, 1,000lbs or less? At that weight you'll have great acceleration and a top speed past 90mph depending on how you gear it. With an EV you can have both speed and efficiency without compromise. It just depends on your battery pack.

At these numbers we're talking about less than 100wh/mile. So battery packs will be smaller, lighter, and CHEAPER!
I appreciate the detailed response! I covered the goals earlier but you're forgiven because these threads tend to ramble.

About 40 inches wide and tall... let's say 9 square feet? Cd target of 0.15. So CdA of 1.35 I guess. Still kinda up in the air.

100 miles electric range.
Weight 750lbs dry, 900 loaded
I want to do it with the good stuff- Li ion, etc. It's nice to hear the larger motor won't be a compromise. Used ones for a few hundred bucks. I'll see what the budget allows hp wise.

On gearing, how does that affect electric motors? Does running at low RPM and high "load" offer significant energy savings? Maybe there's a thread on this that someone could point me to.

100wh/mi? I'll try to keep that in mind. Again, I haven't even gotten the EV bible to look through.

Last edited by Sven7; 02-12-2013 at 07:58 PM..